Motown music was born in the 60s and became massive! Motown bands are still extremely popular acts to be hired for events today and so we thought we’d put together a little list of Motown facts.
- Motown is an extension of soul music but with a much larger ‘pop’ appeal.
- The infamous Motown band sound uses tambourines to accent the beat, melodic bass lines, distinctive chord structures and a ‘call and response’ singing style.
- Motown producers believed in the ‘KISS principle’ (Keep It Simple, Stupid).
- The musicians used on most of Motown’s recordings were ‘the Funk Brothers’. They were only paid basic wages despite providing that classic Motown sound!
- In the United Kingdom, the Motown Sound became the basis of the northern soul movement.
- The Motown production process was factory-like. The Hitsville Studios were active 22 hours a day! Berry Gordy held quality control meetings every Friday morning to ensure only the best material and performances would be released.
- Several tracks which later became commercial favourites were initially rejected by Gordy; 2 being the Marvin Gaye songs, “I Heard It Through the Grapevine” and “What’s Going On”!
- During its heyday, Motown had more chart-topping singles than The Beatles, Elvis, The Rolling Stones, and Elton John combined!
- Between 1961 and 1971 there were 110 top 10 US hits, which established Soul music as an international phenomenon.
‘I Just Called To Say I Love You’ by Stevie Wonder was the biggest-selling Motown single released in the UK.
Additional key Motown releases included:
- Marvin Gaye – Let’s Get It On (1973)
- Diana Ross and the Supremes – Where Did Our Love Go? (1964)
- Smokey Robinson & The Miracles – Going To A Go-Go (1965)
- Stevie Wonder – Up-Tight (1966)
- Jackson 5 – ABC (1970)
And, key Motown bands and singers were:
- Smokey Robinson
- Stevie Wonder
- Jackson 5
- Diana Ross and the Supremes
- Marvin Gaye
- The Four Tops
Warble Entertainment & Motown Bands
At Warble Entertainment we have bands who specialise in Motown music solely and those who include some of the genre amongst their repertoire. All of the Motown bands we book are fully self-contained with their own PA and lighting. And, as standard, the bands will provide pre-recorded party music when they are not performing. Additionally, some will provide a full DJ option with lights to really keep the function going.
The Motown bands we hire have line-ups that include varying numbers of musicians. Some have a female singer, some have male, some have both and some have 2 or 3 singers! Many of the bands will include brass options as this was a popular element to the sound on many tracks. In addition, there are some solo singers available to hire who perform Motown songs to high-quality backing tracks.
Call us today on 0845 643 9384 / 01270 501 164 as we’re always happy to hear about your requirements and offer the best suited solutions for your wedding or event.
Published by Warble Entertainment