Indie Rock is a sub-genre of alternative rock that originated in the UK and the USA in the 1980s. The meaning of the term ‘indie’ was born from any music produced by artists working with ‘independent’ record labels and underground music venues.
Indie bands are known for placing huge importance on maintaining complete control of their music and careers, releasing albums on independent record labels and relying on touring, word-of-mouth, airplay on independent or college radio stations, sometimes modern rock radio and, in recent years, the Internet for promotion.
Some of the most famous Indie bands include:
- The Strokes
- Arcade Fire
- The White Stripes
Indie Bands and Warble Entertainment
Because Indie is seen as somewhat alternative the bands on the Warble roster will tend to just have a few key songs included in their song lists as opposed to being an exclusively Indie band. Some of the most famous Indie songs that are also popular function tracks include:
- Arctic Monkeys – Bet You Look Good On The Dance Floor
- Oasis – Live Forever
- The White Stripes – Seven Nation Army
- The Strokes – Last Nite
- Blur – Song 2
- The Smiths – This Charming Man
- Pulp – Disco 2000
- The Libertines – Can’t Stand Me Now
- The Killers – Mr Brightside
- Florence and the Machine – You Got The Love
All of the indie bands at Warble are fully self-contained with their own PA equipment and stage lighting rigs. As standard, the bands also provide pre-recorded party music when they are not performing, and in some cases a full DJ option so you don’t have to worry about the party stopping just because they have.
Musically, the Indie bands most commonly hired are 3 or 4-piece male fronted bands. But, there has been an increase in bands with female singers recently also. The kind of events that Indie function bands are hired for varies but the most common are:
- University Events – with a younger demographic Indie bands fulfill the contemporary sound that this audience would demand.
- Weddings – popular with couples who have a wide group of friends with very similar Indie tastes.
- Corporate Events – ideal for companies who have a younger staff age-group.
- Festivals – perfect addition to eclectic festival line-ups or exclusively Indie music ones as well.
If you are looking to hire a band that performs Indie music for an event please don’t hesitate to contact us on 0845 643 9384 or 01270 501 164 and we will be happy to advise on the best suited bands for your event or function.
Published by Warble Entertainment