Klay The Pianist
Since winning a MOBO for his band The Jazz Steppers in 1998, Klay has worked with many big names including 5 years with legendary US vibe player Roy Ayers. His solo repertoire ranges from Fats Waller to Christina Aguilera, Gershwin to Elton John. If he doesn't know it he can busk it.
Part of his current repertoire is 'Music From The Great Depression' - 1920s, '30s themed - think Boardwalk Empire, Dancing On The Edge etc. and features the music of Billy Mayerl and George Gershwin. However, he is just as comfortable playing classics, pop, Latin, Film and TV themes and Jazz.
All prices are based on 2 hour set with Klay providing an electric piano and amplification. If there is a piano available at the venue then the advertised fee will be less.
Klay The Pianist
Since winning a MOBO in 1998 for Best Jazz Act, pianist Klay has worked with many artists including Roy Ayers, Dennys Baptiste, Jeff Kashiwa, Jocelyn Brown and guitarist Martin Taylor M.B.E. He has released three solo albums and has played at many top international Jazz Festivals including Nice, North Sea, Cork and Ingostadt.
Aside from hotels, conferences and parties he has also played at Ronnie Scott’s, 606 club, Pizza express Dean Street, The National Theatre and The Jazz Cafe.
Until it's closure in February this year Klay was a regular feature at the Soho Pizzeria in Beak Street where his mixture of Jazz standards, TV Themes and RnB classics drew an appreciative audience.
One of his current projects is solo piano repertoire - Music from the great depression where he performs compositions by the great English stride pianist of the day - Billy Mayerl, and from across the Atlantic, George Gershwin and his masterpiece - Rhapsody In Blue.
Other repertoire includes Jazz standards, Pop classics, Show tunes, TV and Film themes, contemporary pop and RnB. Bespoke repertoire can be provided on request.
Aside from creating the 1998 MOBO award winning JAZZ STEPPERS, pianist and composer Klay has worked in many subtly different genres.
Early 90s Acid Jazz group Zaeus lead to studio projects with ex-Mother Earth vocalist Meryl Kenton (who can be heard on Klay's 2008 release 'URBANITY‘). This ultimately resulted in the groove based JAZZ STEPPERS album being commissioned by Ralph Tee of UK label Passion Jazz - co-founded by Shakatak's Bill Sharpe.
As a result of the success of this release Klay was commissioned to record his album ON REFLECTION for UK label Timewarp in 2000.
In 2005, Klay worked with Drummer Tony Mason, Bassist Randy Hope-Taylor, Keyboardist Greg Assing, Guitarist Tim Cansfield and Vocalist Weston Forster to produce PARK LANE, a UK answer to The Rippingtons. The band featured at the St Lucia Jazz Festival that year.
URBANITY was released independently in 2008 and is a collection of studio projects featuring different vocalists and instrumentalists.
RITMO was released in January 2010 and received critical acclaim in the USA where it reached 34 in the independent smooth jazz chart and stayed in the chart for over three months.
- Solo Piano
1920's / 30's
- Evening Primrose - Billy Mayerl - Tempo: Fast/Mid
- Look Lively - Billy Mayerl - Tempo: Fast
- Virginia Creeper - Billy Mayerl - Tempo: Fast
- Hollyhock - Billly Mayerl - Tempo: Fast
- Marigold - Billy Mayerl - Tempo: Fast/Mid
- Honkytonk - Billy Mayerl - Tempo: Fast
- Autumn Crocus - Billy Mayerl - Tempo: Slow
- Jazz Master - Billy Mayerl - Tempo: Fast
- White Heather - Billy Mayerl - Tempo: Fast/Mid
- All Of A Twist - Billy Mayerl - Tempo: Fast/Mid
- Wistaria - Billy Mayerl - Tempo: Fast/Mid
- Shallow Waters - Billy Mayerl - Tempo: Slow
- Sweet William - Billy Mayerl - Tempo: Fast/Mid
- Rhapsody In Blue - George Gershwin
- Anything Goes - Cole Porter
- Aint Missbehavin'
- All Blue
- All The Things You Are
- Autumn Leaves
- Darn That Dream
- Every Time We Say Goodbye
- Fly Me To The Moon
- Giant Steps
- God Bless The Child
- Have You Met Miss Jones
- How High The Moon
- I Could Write A Book
- I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel To Be Free (Barry Norman Film 1998/9/etc theme)
- Just A Gigolo
- Love Is The Sweetest Thing
- Lullaby Of Birdland
- Lush Life
- Moody's Mood
- My Favourite Things
- My Very Good Friend The Milkman
- Night And Day
- Round Midnight
- So What
- Someone To Watch Over Me
- Somewhere Over The Rainbow
- St Thomas
- They Can't Take That Away From Me
- Waltz For Debbie
Pop, Soul and RnB
- After The Love Has Gone - Earth Wind And Fire
- Always A woman to Me - Billy Joel
- Dinorah Dinorah - George Benson
- Don't You Worry About A Thing - Stevie Wonder
- Dreams Do Come True - Stevie Wonder
- I Am Beautiful - Christina Aguilera
- I Can't Help It - Michael Jackson
- I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues - Elton John
- I Scare Myself - Thomas Dolby
- If I Ever Lose This Feeling - Average White Band
- If You Leave Me know - Chicago
- Just The Way It Is - Bruce Hornsby
- Love Dance - George Benson
- One Hundred Ways - Quincy Jones
- Scarborough Fair - Simon And Garfunkle
- Summer Soft - Stevie Wonder
- Tell Me A Bedtime Story - Quincy Jones
- What's Going On - Marvin Gaye
- You Don't Know My Name - Alicia Keys
Film and TV Themes
- Billion Dollar Brain
- Curb Your Enthusiasm
- Hill Street Blues
- Ipcress File
- The Odd Couple
- The Spy Who Loved Me
- Star Trek (original 60's theme)
- Agua De Beber
- At First Sight - Eliane Elias
- Call Me
- El Cuarto De Tula - Buena Vista Social Club
- Favela ( Oh Morro) - Jobim
- Love Reborn - George Duke
- Meditation - Jobim
- One Note Samba
- It Happens Everyday - Joe Sample
- Revelation - The Yellowjackets
- Street Life - Crusaders
- I've Got Your Image - Cameo
- Last Call - The Crusaders
- Moody's Mood - George Benson
- Dinorah Dinorah - Geroge Benson
- Song For Carla - Yellowjackets
- Motet - Yellowjackets
- Seven Stars - Yellowjackets
He was asked very last minute and prepared all the songs we wanted. He was brilliant and had great feedback about him from the guests at the wedding. Highly recommended!
Klay gets 6 out of 5! He was excellent in every respect and I wouldn't hesitate in requesting him again or recommending him to others. With many thanks.
Clients (As band member):
- Roy Ayers, Jocelyn Browne (Somebody Else’s Guy), Martin Taylor M.B.E.
Venues as band member:
- Ronnie Scotts, Jazz Café, Pizza Express Dean Street, North Sea Jazz Festival, Cork Jazz Festival, Nice JazzFestival, Edinborough Festival, Royal Festival Hall
Venues (As Band Leader):
- Smollenskys on the Strand, Jazz Cafe London, 606 club, Purcell Room London. Royal National Theatre.
Recent clients as solo pianist:
- Arts Marketing Association annual conference, Brighton Dome. (Music From The Great Depression set)
- Burlington Hotel, Folkestone. Wedding.
- Soho Pizzeria - regular monthly jazz set.
- National Theatre, London - Music From The Great Depression
How long do you play for? Standard set times are 1 hour or 2 x 45 mins although longer performances are negotiable.
Can you provide the piano? Yes, I have an electric piano and amplification.
Can you play requests? Of course! I play by ear as well as reading so if I don't know it I can busk it or learn it depending on the difficulty of the piece. I have a large repertoire of Jazz, show tune and pop classics. If I don't know it or can't busk it I can learn it if you let me know in time.
What kind of music do you play? I was classicaly trained before studying Jazz at Leeds. I have a very good ear and I also read so I can play pretty much anything you wish. I play Jazz standards - anything from Charlie Parker, Monk, Miles Davis to George Duke, The Crusaders and The Yellowjackets, Latin e.g. Jobim, Buena Vista Social Club, Astrud Giberto, Pop and RnB classics e.g. Elton John, Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder, Alicia Keys, TV and Film themes such as Curb Your Enthusiasm, Star Trek and The Odd Couple...
What areas do you cover? I can play wherever required. See 'PRICES' for details.
How long do you need to set up? 30 mins should be ample time. (Excluding load in time - parking, moving equipment into venue etc.)
- 1 hr or 2 x 45 mins
- Other timings available on request
Please Note: The fees indicated below are approximate and based on a central location for each county. They are intended to provide a rough guide only and exact quotes can only be given once the date and exact location of your event have been provided.