Sam The Jazz Guitarist
Sam The Jazz Guitarist
Sam is a virtuoso solo jazz guitarist, and is a self contained act. He has a huge repertoire of jazz and Latin standards, and also plays arrangements of modern pop songs and classic folk melodies, all without backing or accompaniment.
Sam has nearly twenty years experience as a working pro musician. His relaxed guitar playing belies a lyrical virtuosity that has been heard in concert halls, clubs, pubs, on radio and TV, all over the UK and beyond.
Whilst Sam is predominantly a contemporary jazz musician, he is also a formidable fingerstyle solo guitarist, and effortlessly blends elements of jazz, folk, classical, Brazilian, and other disparate musical influences into a truly personal style.
Venues of note where Sam has performed include The Albert Hall and the National Theatre in London, The Opera Houses of Frankfurt, Stuttgart, Nuremberg, Oslo, Graz, and Copenhagen, The Stables in Wavendon, The Sydney Conservatorium, Bennetts Lane in Melbourne, The Cardiff Opera House, The Cutty Sark in Greenwich, The Old Vic in Bristol, The Empire in Liverpool, and countless other theatres and concert halls across the UK and beyond.Sam recently toured Australia with Grammy nominated jazz pianist Judy Carmichael, and also accompanied actors Michelle Dockery and Sheriden Smith in a cabaret at London's Cafe de Paris.
"Sam is a wonderful musician on all levels. He has a wide, interesting repertoire, beautiful sound, and is equally compelling with ballads and burners. And with his fast ears and quick wit, he's great fun on the bandstand.” - Judy Carmichael
- Solo lightly amplified guitar. Can add a sax or vocal if needed.
Here's a cross section of the many hundreds of songs in Sam's repertoire:
- After You've Gone
- Ain't Misbehavin
- All of Me
- All the Things You Are
- As Time Goes By
- Autumn Leaves
- Beautiful Friendship
- Blame it on my Youth
- Boy Next Door
- Bye Bye Blackbird
- C'est Si Bon
- Come Rain or Come Shine
- Day Dream
- Days of Wine and Roses
- Don't Get Around Much Anymore
- Have you Met Miss Jones
- I Can't Get Started
- I Got Rhythm
- I love Paris
- If I Had You
- Like Someone in Love
- Take 5
- Girl from Ipanema
- Besamae Mucho
- The Dolphin
- Black is the Colour
- The Leaving of Liverpool
- The Foggy Dew
- The Look of Love
- Eleanor Rigby
- And I love Her
- Black Magic Woman
- Your Song
Top bloke and great guitarist!
Thanks so much Sam, your beautiful guitar playing was just what we wanted at our reception!
- Sam's career has seen him perform across the globe. He has toured Australia with Grammy nominated pianist Judy Carmichael, and gigged in jazz clubs in Hong Kong, Manila and Saigon.
- Closer to home he toured Europe with 'The Rat Pack - Live from Las Vegas,' and recently performed at the Legnano Jazz Festival in Milan.
- Sam has for several years been employed as a solo guitarist on board the ultra luxury 6* cruise ships of Seabourn.
- Sam has toured the UK with several theatrical productions, and with his own jazz quartet.
- Sam has played many weddings and corporate functions, as well as restuarants, bars and pubs.
- Recent coporate functions have included work for Orange, Liverpool FC, Manchester United FC, Leeds United FC, the Lord Mayor of Liverpool, Brakes, and many more.
What material will Sam play?
Sam is a self contained act, without backing tracks or vocals. He plays solo guitar arrangements of jazz and Latin standards, as well as Irish folk music, and his own unique arangments of pop songs. If there's a song you like, let Sam know and he'll play it!
What do we need to provide for Sam to perform for us?
Sam has a small and unobtrousive PAT tested amplifier that hides under his stool, so will need a plug socket.
Can we add other instrumentation if we want something a little larger?
Sam also has a duo with a double bass that is particularly suitable to intimate venues, and can also add a swinging jazz vocalist if need be.
- 2 or 3 sets of 45 minutes.
Please Note: The fees indicated below are approximate and based on a central location for each county. They are intended to provide a rough guide only and exact quotes can only be given once the date and exact location of your event have been provided.