The Turquoise Feathers
Indubitably the hippest and hottest rhythm 'n' blues in the UK.
Transport yourself 60 years back in time and 3000 miles westwards with the wild sound of The Turquoise Feathers. This 6 piece act are made up of some of London's hottest session musicians, brought together by their mutual love for early New Orleans rhythm & blues.
The Turquoise Feathers
Specialising in recreating the original and authentic sound of R&B, they are passionate about the 45" records that emerged from the New Orleans studios of Cosimo Matassa in the 1950s and 1960s, made by the likes of Little Richard, Ray Charles, Fats Domino, Dr. John, Allen Toussaint and Big Joe Turner. With nerdish enthusiasm, the band have transcribed the original arrangements from the records in order to get the most authentic sound. Expect red hot horn licks, grooving double bass and tunes that are guaranteed to get the dancefloor heaving.
The band has been gigging extensively in London since 2016, playing at many of the city's most a la mode nightclubs and speakeasies. The musicians involved have credits with artists such as Loudon Wainright, Richard Thompson, Dr John and Laura Mvula.
- Double bass / vocals and piano
- Double bass / vocals, drums and piano
- Double bass / vocals, drums, tenor sax and piano
- Double bass / vocals, drums, tenor sax, trumpet and piano
- Guitar / vocals, double bass, drums, piano, trumpet and tenor sax
- Ah Cubanas (Dave Bartholomew)
- Ain't Got No Home (Clarence 'Frogman' Henry)
- Ain't That A Shame (Fats Domino)
- Arabian Love Call (Art Neville)
- As Long As I'm Moving (Ruth Brown)
- Back Home To Me(Aaron Neville)
- Barefootin' (Robert Parker)
- Blue Monday (Fats Domino)
- Cat Music (Fats and Dave)
- Chicken And The Bop (Lloyd Price)
- Don't Blame it on me (Dave Bartholomew & Fats Domino)
- Don't Jive Me (Smiley Lewis)
- Everytime I Hear) That Mellow Saxophone(Roy Montrell)
- The Fat Man (Fats Domino)
- Fever (Little Willie-Smith)
- Flatfoot Sam (Oscar Wills & Smiley Lewis)
- Flip Flop & Fly(Big Joe Turner)
- Going to Chow (Dave Bartholomew)
- Hook Line & Sinker (Smiley Lewis)
- I didn't want To Do It (The Spiders)
- I Got Sumpin' For You (Guitar Slim)
- I hear you knocking (Smiley Lewis)
- I love to rock & roll (Eddie Bo)
- I'm In Love Again (Fats Domino & Dave Bartholomew)
- Java (Allen Toussaint)
- Jim Dandy (Laverne Baker)
- Jock-a-mo (James "Sugar Boy" Crawford)
- Let The Good Times Roll(Ray Charles)
- Mama Don't Like It (Smiley Lewis)
- Mardi Gras Mambo (The Hawketts)
- Mojo Hannah (Tami Lynn)
- One Night (Smiley Lewis)
- Pot Holder (Porkey Harris)
- Rip It Up (Little Richard)
- Say Baby (Blind Willie Johnson)
- Sea Cruise (Huey "Piano" Smith)
- Shrimp & Gumbo (Dave Bartholomew)
- Sixteen Tons (BB King)
- Snake Eyes (Alvin 'Red' Tyler)
- Something You Got (Barbara George)
- Stagger Lee (Lloyd Price)
- Stormy Weather (Harold Arlen & Ted Koehler)
- Sufferin' Mind (Guitar Slim)
- Walk That Walk(Eddie Bo)
- Walking To New Orleans (Fats Domino)
- Well I Done Got Over It(Guitar Slim)
- What's Going On(Art Neville)
- Ya Ya (Lee Dorsey)
Thank you so much for making our wedding an unforgettable weekend! The music was absolutely perfect, and it was great to see the dance floor heaving. I couldn't have asked for more.
What styles of music do you play?
We play exclusively New Orleans rhythm 'n' blues from the late 40s, 50s and early 60s. There is however, plenty of light and shade in our set list, and music from that era includes lots of uptempo dance material, ballads and other 'exotic' flavours such as mambos and habaneras.
Can you play purely instrumental music?
As a duo it's possible to play instrumental music, although to do so we would include many jazz standards, as the vast majority of the New Orleans material we play has vocals. For all larger combos the sets involve vocals.
Do you do gigs abroad?
We can, although we request that all lighting, amps, PA, piano, double bass and so on are provided by the booker.
Can you play without amplification?
What amplification do you use?
As well as our own amplifiers, We can provide a 680 watt PA system - that's suitable for most types of event where fewer than 150 people are attending.
Can you dress smartly for a formal event?
We always dress very smartly, and in the style of the 1950s musicians we are paying homage to.
Can you play in more than one location in my venue?
It's quite difficult to move the band once they have set up in one location.
Can you play outside?
As long as there is a marquee, gazebo or something similar to shelter the equipment from the weather we can play outside.
How much space do you need to set up?
About 4 metres by 3 metres.
Can you supply music between your sets?
Yes, we can supply appropriate interval music using an iPod through our amplification system, or if you prefer you can provide your own iPod or playlist which we can connect to our system.
- 2 x 60 minutes
Please Note: The fees indicated below are approximate and based on a central location for each county. They are intended to provide a rough guide only and exact quotes can only be given once the date and exact location of your event have been provided.