The Vintage Gramophone DJ
Using a pair of authentic 1930s wind up gramophones (discreetly amplified) The Vintage Gramophone DJ is the perfect choice to entertain guests at weddings, vintage events and corporate parties.
Playing alone or in support of a vocal lead act, The Vintage Gramophone DJ can provide music for you to drink, dine or dance to.
The Vintage Gramophone DJ
With an impressive collection of 78 rpm records or 'shellacs' and a pair of vintage HMV gramophones, The Vintage Gramophone DJ is well placed to entertain your guests. For larger venues or when playing outdoors, his wind-up acoustic machines can be discreetly amplified by modern means. Material ranges from the dancebands of the early 1920's through the early Jazz and Swing eras to the dawn of Rock and Roll and the popular artists of the 50's and early 60's.
Sets can be tailored to suit your event and highlights may include classics such as the “Teddy Bears Picnic”, Glenn Miller Big Band numbers or early Elvis hits. Smartly attired in tweed, pinstripe or even top hat and tails he brings a civilized blend of atmosphere and entertainment to any occasion.
Please note that The Vintage Gramophone DJ does not play vinyl records from the mid 1960s and later (only78rpm shellac records) Although happy to chat to guests and answer questions, he does not use a microphone to compère or announce records during sets.
- Early Stuff for Great Gatsby/Peaky Blinders 1920s themes; The Charleston, The Black Bottom, Paul Whiteman Orchestra, Ragtime etc
- Early Dance Bands and Jazz; Harry Roy, Jack Hylton, Henry Hall etc.
- 1940's Big Band and Swing; Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman, Andrews Sisters etc
- Later Jazz, 50's crooners and solo artists; Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Nat King Cole, Ella Fitzgerald etc.
- Early 1960's Rock n Roll; Elvis, Buddy Holly, Bill Haley etc.
The Vintage Gramophone DJ was fantastic. He made contact with us on a number of occasions leading up to our wedding and really made us feel comfortable. On the day he was smart and professional and his music really set the mood for the start of the party. As with most weddings, there were lots of stressful things being booked and arranged for the big day, but booking Adam wasn't one of them. It was an absolute pleasure and incredibly straightforward from start to end.
Nice and polite, great to work with.
Excellent act who provided the perfect backdrop to our vintage wedding.
The Vintage Gramophone DJ was a fantastic addition to our programme of entertainment, spot-on, approachable and professional - thanks.
Adam was thoroughly professional, attentive and flexible across the two days he worked with us. He was the perfect choice of entertainment at our event, and chatted and engaged hundreds of people, as well as provided fantastic entertainment with his unique act - he also looks the very dapper part!! Thoroughly recommended.
Thank you so much for the sets you played yesterday they kicked off the atmosphere of our wedding reception perfectly. Everyone was commenting on just how appropriate the music and the look of your get-up was in front of the house.
- Lincoln Cathedral - exclusive private parties
- Oxford Museum of Natural History - Corporate
- Bletchley Park - Corporate
- Beverley Priory - wedding
- Rise Hall - wedding
- RAF Cranwell - officer graduation balls
- Woodhall Spa 1940s Festival - Petwood Hotel and Jubillee Park
- Lincoln 1940s Festival
- Grimsthorpe Castle - Vintage Speed Trials
- Doddington Hall (official supplier) - many corporate and private events
- Hemswell Court (official supplier) - private event
- Washingborough Hall (official supplier) - many exclusive weddings
- The Nottinghamshire Golf and Country Club (official supplier) - weddings
- Malt Cross, Nottingham - public events
- Boston District Council - community events and 1940s festival
- Norwood Park- wedding
- Langar Hall - wedding
Can we make requests for songs and artists that we like?
Yes! Requests in advance are obviously easier to fulfil as on the day I will only have the music I have brought with me.
How loud is your music, do you amplify the Gramophones?
The gramophones we use are genuine 1930's acoustic machines and were designed to be used in the domestic setting. For weddings and events however we discreetly amplify them via a modern portable PA system. The average party size that we play to at an indoor event or wedding is 70-90 but this figure has been much higher when playing outside as a support act for a vintage festival for example
For much larger venues can you connect to and play your music through a venue's own PA system?
By prior arrangement and with assistance from an in-house technician this may be possible but it should not be assumed.
When do you normally play during a wedding day and for how long?
The service is very flexible and we can tailor sets to fit various slots during a day however, in our opinion the service work best for the welcome drinks reception. Ie after the ceremony and before the meal for approximately one and a half to two and a quarter hours. The gramophones attract alot of attention and a drinks reception provides the perfect opportunity for guests to come and ask questions which we are happy to answer.
Can you recommend another Warble act to accompany the Gramophone music to cover and extended period?
Yes, The Vintage Gramophone DJ recommends, and is regularly accompanied by, another Warble act - The 1940s Vintage Singer.
We are having a themed wedding/event can you adapt your costume and set up to fit in?
Of course, that's half the fun! Currently we have about 5 different outfits or guises which adapt to fit the bill for most events.
- 'Country/City Gent' - tweed or pin stripe with Panama or Fedora hat depending on the season. '
- 'Top Hat, White Tie and Tails' - great for Great Gatsby themes or Exclusive Weddings.
- 'Eton Boating' - colourful striped blazer topped with a straw boater, perfect for Summer festivals
- 'Peaky Blinder' - A Shelby Brother brother on the gramophones complete with flat cap and pocket watch!
- 'Philius Fogg' - Jules Verne's intrepid explorer 'Around the World in 80 days' with frock coat and cravat.
The Vintage Gramophone DJ is always happy to discuss other themes!
Please note for 1920s 'Gatsby' themed events, we cannot play Electro Jazz/Pop which features in the film 'The Great Gatsby'. Such music is a modern interpretation and only available in modern format. We do however play original gramophone recordings from the 1920s and 30's applified via PA.
- At weddings, This is generally providing music for a welcome drinks reception or wedding breakfast.
- At festivals or vintage events, sets can be tailored to fit other entertainment such as vocalists or big bands.
- Sets can be bespoke for all events but it is suggested to break up the playing time.
Please Note: The fees indicated below are approximate and based on a central location for each county. They are intended to provide a rough guide only and exact quotes can only be given once the date and exact location of your event have been provided.