Duncan The Guitarist
A highly experienced and versatile solo fingerstyle guitarist specialising in well known contemporary music in a classical style. With a vast repertoire spanning the genres and decades, and the ability to create bigger sounds with use of his looper pedal, Duncan is the perfect addition to any event.
Duncan The Guitarist
Duncan is a Brighton based solo fingerstyle guitarist who plays a wide variety of instrumental arrangements of well known songs, ranging from 1950s classics to modern day chart hits. As a polished, professional, self contained act, Duncan adds the perfect ambiance to any event, including weddings, corporate, parties and functions. His repertoire covers many genres and with an inexhaustible knowledge of music, new and old, he can provide a bespoke combination of classical and contemporary styles. With so much variety to his repertoire he really can provide something for everyone. In addition to his fingerstyle arrangements, Duncan also used a loop pedal which enables him to make fuller sounding, upbeat tracks and improvisations.
He has a vast experience in the the music industry as a performer, teacher, composer and session musician. He has played at some of the best wedding venues in the country, as well as in some of the UK's most iconic buildings including London's Gherkin and O2 arena. He also has experience playing abroad, including contracts with award winning cruise liners. As well as playing solo, Duncan has worked with some of the best bands in the South and has supported some legendary artists including the Brand New Heavies and Californian Funk masters Breakestra.
Duncan uses top quality equipment to provide the best sound and has a variety of different set ups for all audience sizes. All of his equipment is PAT tested, and he has Public Liability Insurance. He is always willing to personalise his sets around your requirements and loves to learn special requests. He also performs as part of an acoustic duo so can provide a vocalist when requested. Based in the South-East, Duncan can travel UK wide and internationally on request.
- Solo fingerstyle guitar.
- Acoustic duo with a vocalist also available.
Pop / Rock 20th Century
- Say a little prayer - Aretha Franklin
- Stand by me - Ben E King
- Lean on me - Bill Withers
- Lovely Day - Bill Withers
- Love really hurst without you - Billy Ocean
- Blowing in the wind - Bob Dylon
- Redemption Song - Bob Marley
- You've got a friend - Carole King
- Father and son - Cat Stevens
- Dance Magic Dance - David Bowie
- Que sera sera - Doris Day
- Can you feel the love tonight - Elton John
- Candle in the wind - Elton John
- Sorry seems to be the hardest word - Elton John
- Your song - Elton John
- Signe - Eric Clapton
- Tears in heaven - Eric Clapton
- Wonderful tonight - Eric Clapton
- At last - Eta James
- Autumn Leaves - Eva Cassidy
- Fields of gold - Eva Cassidy
- People get ready - Eva Cassidy
- Somewhere over the rainbow - Eva Cassidy
- Time after time - Eva Cassidy
- More than words - Extreme
- She drives me crazy - Fine Young Cannibals
- Careless whisper - George Michael
- Imagine - John Lennon
- I walk the line - Johnny Cash
- Knights in white satin - Justin Hayward
- What a wonderful world - Louis Armstrong
- I would do anything for love - Meatloaf
- Human Nature - Michael Jackson
- The way you make me feel - Michael Jackson
- The Boxer - Paul Simon
- Streets of London - Ralph McTell
- Dedicated follower of fashion - Ray Davis
- When you say nothing at all - Ronan Keating
- Signed sealed delivered - Stevie Wonder
- Fields of gold - Sting
- Santeria - Sublime
- Blackbird - The Beatles
- Can't buy me love - The Beatles
- Here comes the sun - The Beatles
- I've just seen a face - The Beatles
- Let it be - The Beatles
- Something - The Beatles
- Yellow Submarine - The Beatles
- Close to you - The Carpenters
- Take it easy - The Eagles
- Killing me softly - The Fugees
- Baby can I hold you - Tracy Chapman
- Drops of Jupiter - Train
- Can't help falling in love with you - UB40
- Red red wine - UB40
- Love is all around - Wet wet wet
Pop / Rock 21st Century
- Feel my love - Adele
- No one - Alicia Keys
- Old Pine - Ben Howard
- Where is the love - Black Eyed Peas
- Just the way you are - Bruno Mars
- Marry you - Bruno Mars
- The Lazy Song - Bruno Mars
- Wooden Italian Guitar - Café del mar
- A thousand years - Christina Perri
- Noughties pop medley - Duncan Howlett
- Thinking out loud - Ed Sheeran
- Budapest - George Ezra
- Better together - Jack Johnson
- Hold back the river - James Bay
- I wasn't expecting that - Jamie Lawson
- I won't give up - Jason Mraz
- I'm yours - Jason Mraz
- Pricetag - Jessie J
- All of me - John Legend
- Free fallin - John Mayer
- Waiting on the world to change - John Mayer
- Heartbeats - Jose Gonzalez
- Love yourself - Justin Bieber
- Use Somebody - Kings of Leon
- She will be loved - Maroon 5
- Sunday Morning - Maroon 5
- Crazy love - Michael Buble
- Let her go - Passenger
- Perfect - Pink
- When you say nothing at all - Ronan Keating
- Stay with me - Sam Smith
- Mr Brightside - The Killers
- Crazy - Gnarls Barkley
Disco / Dance / Club
- Let me be your fantasy - Baby D
- I will survive - Gloria Gaynor
- Rhythm is a dancer - Snap
- Jump to the beat - Stacy Lattisaw
- Best of my love - The Emotions
- 90s dance music medley - Various
- No limit - 2 Unlimited
- Freak Out - Chic
- I can't feel my face when I'm with you - The Weeknd
- Wooden Italian Guitar - Café del mar
- Higher and higher - Jackie Wilson
- Diggin on James Brown - Tower of Power
Jazz / Blues
- Sunny - Bobby Hebb
- Ronnie Jordan Jam - Duncan Howlett
- Jazz and Blues improvisations - Duncan Howlett
- Nobody knows you when your down and out - Eric Clapton
- Wayfaring Stranger - Eva Cassidy
- Fly me to the moon - Frank Sinatra
- L.O.V.E - Nat King Cole
- I wish I knew how it would feel to be free - Nina Simone
- Fever - Peggy Lee
- Killing me softly - Roberta Flack
- Duelling Banjos - Deliverance
- Afraid to dance - Don Ross
- Jump - Eric Roche
- Classical Gas - Mason Williams
- Angelina - Tommy Emmanuel
- Blue moon - Tommy Emmanuel
- House of the rising sun - Tommy Emmanuel
- Mombasa - Tommy Emmanuel
Classical / Spanish
- Study in Am - Carcassi
- El Toro - Duncan Howlett
- Pamplona - Duncan Howlett
- Studies - Fernando Carulli
- Studies - Fernando Sor
- Roberts Rag - Geof Edge
- Allemande - John Dowland
- The Godfather Waltz - Nino Rota
- Canon in D - Pachelbel
- Greensleeves - Traditional
- Romanza - Traditional
- Scarborough fair - Traditional
- Brand New Day - Duncan The Guitarist
- Pamplona - Duncan The Guitarist
- Ronnie Jordan Jam - Duncan The Guitarist
- Sarahs Dance - Duncan The Guitarist
- Whilst you were away - Duncan The Guitarist
- El Toro - Duncan The Guitarist
Folk / Traditional
- Blooming Heather - Kate Rusby
- Underneath the stars - Kate Rusby
- The Wild Rover - Traditional
- Happy Birthday - Traditional
- Here comes the bride - Traditional
- God save the queen - Traditional
- Amazing Grace - Traditional
- This is the life - Amy Macdonald
- Deck the halls - Traditional
- Ding Dong Merrily on high - Traditional
- Frosty the snowman - Steve Nelson/Jack Rollins
- Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley
- Have yourself a merry little christmas - Frank Sinatra
- Jingle Bells - Traditional
- Let it snow - Dean Martin
- Merry Christmas Everybody - Slade
- Merry Christmas Everyone - Shakin Stevens
- Morning has broken - Cat Stevens
- O Christmas Tree - Traditional
- O Come all ye faithful - Traditional
- Rudolph the red nosed reindeer - Traditional
- Santa Baby - Eartha Kitt
- Santa Claus is coming to town - Haven Gillespie/Fred Coot
- Silent Night - Traditional
- Stay another day - East 17
- We wish you a mery christmas - Traditional
- White Christmas - Bing Crosby
Duncan performed at our wedding ceremony and reception drinks at Cambridge Cottage at Kew Gardens. His acoustic guitar fitted the ambiance of our ceremony so well. His mixture of older and contemporary music in the reception was enjoyed by all and I would definitely recommend Duncan for any event!!
Really nice guy, super helpful, laid back and accommodating. Great guitar skills and read the room perfectly. Would definitely recommend!
Duncan was absolutely fantastic and exceeded all our expectations! He was so lovely on the phone when we spoke and was great at communicating in the weeks leading up to the wedding. He was also super keen to learn the songs we wanted and was flexible on the day. My husband and his family all play guitar and they all commented on how great he was and how he didn’t play one note wrong! He was fantastic during the ceremony and reception and got the tone just right. We couldn’t be happier with him!
Very good, great style and approach. Thank you.
Duncan played beautifully for two hours during a drinks reception and dinner. His music was varied and enjoyed by all with great feed back coming from our attendees. He was professional, helpful and truly focused on delivering what we needed for the event, certainly someone I would look to work with again.
With 16 years of experience playing at different kinds of events, Duncan has performed in many wonderful venues throughout the country.
Here are some examples..
- O2 Arena, London
- The Gherkin, London
- Sheraton Park Lane Hotel, London
- Turkey Mill, Kent
- HMS Warrior, Portsmouth
- Sealife Centre, Brighton
- Scotney Castle, Kent
- Buxted Park Hotel, Uckfield
and many more...
Here are some examples of companies that Duncan has performed for...
- P&O Cruises
- AMEX Stadium, Falmer
- The Royal Navy
- The Sea Cadets
- Red Bull
- Henley Regatta
- Drinkin Brighton
and many more...
Do you learn special requests?
Yes. I am always happy to learn special requests and to perfonalise my sets around your favourite songs and artists. Any songs that I know already, are of course free of charge. With each booking, I am happy to create a new arrangement of a special song for you, and for wedding ceremonies up to 4 songs, free of charge. For arrangements that are needed in addition to this, there will be a small charge for each additional song.
Can you suggest a setlist for our event?
I am always happy to put a set together for you, based around the theme and style of your event or to provide you with recommendations when needed.
Can we choose a setlist from your repertoire?
Absolutely. Your welcome to choose some or all of the songs you would like performed from my repertoire, as well as pointing out any that you don't want included.
Do you perform with amplication?
I always recommend performing with some amplification. Not for volume reasons, but in order to best control the sound for the environment. I have a variety of setups suitable for different sized events, from a fantastic AER Compact 60 acoustic amp that is perfect for small to medium sized events, up to 2 x 400 watt PA speakers that are suitable for audience sizes of up to around 400 people.
Can you perform without amplification?
Yes, this is definitely possible, but not all of my arrangements will work without my looper pedal, so there will be some limitations to the songs that can be included. I do have a vast amount of material that will be suitable.
Can you perform outside?
Yes. Although this isn't advised in strong winds or extreme cold/rain. The sound will be effected. In cases of bad weather, some kind of shelter would be required to protect my equipment. In good weather, there would be no problem at all.
What do you require for your performance?
I require access to one power socket (I have long extension leads if needed) , an armless chair. and access to a parking space nearby to the venue/performance area.
What parts of a wedding day can you be booked to perform?
As my performances and repertoire are very versatile, I can be booked to perform for any part of a wedding day, including performing as guests arrive and for the ceremony itself, for the drinks reception, for background music throughout the meal, or a livlier set to warm up the evening guests before dancing commences..
How far are you willing to travel for events?
I am always happy to discuss events further afield, including internationally, so please do get in touch to discuss your requirements.
- 1 x 50 min set
- 2 x 50 min sets
- 3 x 50 min sets
Ceremony Package - playing as guests arrive, for the bridal entrance, 2/3 songs for the signing of the register and exit song.
Bespoke packages available on request..
Please Note: The fees indicated below are approximate and based on a central location for each county. They are intended to provide a rough guide only and exact quotes can only be given once the date and exact location of your event have been provided.