A unique 6 piece band who specialise in bangers - 90's club classics, 70's funk standards and 80's electro funk grooves. The dance floor doesn't stand a chance!
Six funky cats from the North East of England with a passion for 60's soul, 70's disco, 80's electro- funk and everything in between.
The Funktion was formed by six musicians who share a mutual love of all things funk and soul. All veteran players on the local North East music scene, it is their impressive musicianship, water-tight arrangements and energy on stage that sets The Funktion apart from most bands.
Since 2012 The Funktion have become one of the most respected and requested wedding and function bands in the North of England and beyond. The band have been honoured to perform at hundreds of weddings, and share the stage with legends such as Rose Royce, Martha Reeves and more.
In 2016 The band were finalists in the Northern Wedding Awards for ‘Live Entertainment of the Year’, and frequently perform across the UK.
If you’re looking for a band that will really make your event special, The Funktion are the obvious choice.
- Lead Vocalist
- Guitar/Synth/Backing Vocals
- Keyboards/Percussion/Backing Vocals
- Papa’s Got A Brand New Bag – James Brown
- Land of a Thousand Dances – Wilson Pickett
- Get Up Offa That Thing – James Brown
- Sex Machine – James Brown
- I Want You Back – The Jackson 5
- Land of 1000 Dances – Wilson Pickett
- Shake Your Body (down to the ground) – The Jackson 5
- Signed, Sealed, Delivered – Stevie Wonder
- Don’t Stop til You Get Enough – Michael Jackson
- Oops Upside Your Head – The Gap Band
- Celebration – Kool and the Gang
- Move On Up – Cutis Mayfield
- Play That Funky Music – Wild Cherry
- Sir Duke – Stevie Wonder
- September – Earth, Wind and Fire
- Greatest Dancer – Sister Sledge
- Thinking of you – Sister Sledge
- Carwash – Rose Royce
- Disco Inferno – The Trammps
- Relight My Fire – Dan Hartman
- You Should Be Dancing – Bee Gees
- Express Yourself – Charles Wright
- And the beat goes on – The Whispers
- I wanna be your lover – Prince
- Le Freak – Chic
- We Don’t Have To Take Our Clothes Off – Jermaine Stewart
- Never Too Much – Luther Vandross
- Chaka Khan – Ain’t Nobody
- Somebody Else’s Guy – Jocelyn Brown
- Billie Jean – Michael Jackson
- Kiss – Prince
- Stomp – The Brothers Johnson
- Celebration – Kool & The Gang
- Feel Like Making Love – George Benson
- Something Got Me Started – Simply Red
- This Is How We Do It – Montel Jordan
- No Diggity – Blackstreet
- Two Can Play That Game – Bobby Brown
- Show Me Love – Robin S
- Canned Heat – Jamiroquai
- Space Cowboy – Jamiroquai
- Senorita – Justin Timberlake
- California Love – Tupac
- Finally – Cece Peniston
- Uptown Funk – Bruno Mars & Mark Ronson
- Moves Like Jagger – Maroon Five
- Beggin – Madcon
- Treasure – Bruno Mars
- Daft Punk – Get Lucky
- Valerie – Mark Ronson
Just wanted to drop you a note to say a huge thank you. You were absolutely brilliant at our wedding and everybody has mentioned how good you were, they were all up dancing and had the best time. All the best and thanks again.
- Middlesbrough FC
- Remembering Rebecca Charity
- Stockton Riverside Festival
- The Finlay Cooper Fund
- Middlesbrough Music Live
- Barney's Big Bash Festival
What areas do you cover?
We mainly play in and around the North of England, but we do travel further afield and are happy to play anywhere within the UK.
What are your prices?
Prices are calculated on a number of factors including location, set-times, event type etc.
Can you provide a DJ service or background music in between sets?
Yes – included in our price is a ‘free DJ service’. This means that you can use our PA system to play music through in between sets. We have our own playlists or you are welcome to use your own and plug into our system via phone, laptop, tablet or mp3 player.
Is your equipment PAT tested?
Of course! If you are booking us for a wedding you may be asked for proof of this by your venue – if so just let us know and we are happy to liaise with them for you.
Do you hold Public Liability Insurance?
We certainly do, and again this is something that certain venues will ask to see a copy of.
Do you bring all of your own equipment?
Absolutely – we have our own PA system that is powerful enough to handle large halls and theatres. We also bring all of our own stage lighting as well.
What set times do you do?
We typically play two 60 minute sets plus encores, but we can extend this if you want us to play longer.
I’m getting married what happens on the day?
We are veterans on the wedding scene so we know how stressful the big day can be. From our point of view, we will usually contact you in the weeks leading up just to confirm our arrival time. Every event is slightly different but we typically arrive around 5pm so that we can set up and soundcheck before your guests are in the room. That way we can be set up and out of the way by the time your evening guests arrive. We are very easy going so if things run late on the day or you want to make changes to the running order it’s no problem to us!
How long do you need to set up and soundcheck?
From arriving at the venue we ideally need around 60-90 minutes to load the gear in, set up and soundcheck.
How much space do you need?
Please bear in mind we are a 6 piece band and we do have quite a bit of equipment (including lights, PA and live percussion). We generally would ask for a space of around 6 metres wide by 3 metres deep – most venues are accommodating and this is never really an issue, but if you are concerned please contact us in advance and we can speak to the venue for you.
Can you learn a song for a first dance?
Yes we are happy to do this for you free of charge, providing it fits the style of the band and we are comfortable playing it.
- 2 x 60 minutes
Please Note: The fees indicated below are approximate and based on a central location for each county. They are intended to provide a rough guide only and exact quotes can only be given once the date and exact location of your event have been provided.