Jim the Guitarist
Jim is a professional classical guitarist with over 20 years’ performance experience.
His extensive repertoire of classical, Celtic, Spanish and traditional music, played on a unique 10-string classical guitar, can be tailored to perfectly suit your wedding ceremony, reception, banquet or house concert.
Jim the Guitarist
With over 500 years of music to choose from, Jim creates a beautiful, sensitive and balanced musical ambience, drawing from early traditional and Celtic styles, through Renaissance and Baroque, to Spanish and contemporary classical music.
Choosing wedding music can be daunting when faced with a large repertoire, so Jim is always happy to offer assistance and advice in selecting the perfect music for the occasion. The music Jim performs at weddings and events is also the music that he personally chooses to listen to, which guarantees a passionate and heartfelt performance every time.
Jim plays a 10-string classical guitar, which is a unique and unusual instrument. The extra strings enable him to perform a wider range of music, allowig him to remain more faithful to the original arrangements and styles. It is particularly useful for Celtic, Renaissance and Baroque music.
Recent clients include RBS and Magdalene College Oxford. Venues Jim has performed at in London include The Dorchester, The Langham, Mandarin Oriental, The Hilton Group, The Four Seasons Group, The Great Eastern and the Commonwealth Club, as well as wedding venues throughout the south including Hampton Court, The Lainston, Pennyhill Park, Goodwood, Runnymede, Windsor Guildhall, Farnham Castle and Wiston House.
SAMPLE REPERTOIRE (full repertoire available on request)
RENAISSANCE & BAROQUE
- Adagio - Albinoni
- Air (on the G String) - Bach
- Arrival of the Queen of Sheba - Handel
- Canon in D – Pachelbel
- Cantata 147 - Bach
- Greensleeves-Trad. English
- Largo (Lute Concerto in D) - Vivaldi
- Preludes 846, 999 & 1007 - Bach
- Toccata Arpeggiata - Kapsberger
- Trumpet Voluntary – Clarke
- Winter (Largo - The 4 Seasons) - Vivaldi
- Xerxes (Largo) - Handel
- Zadok the Priest (Coronation Anthem) - Handel
- Andecy - York
- By Candlelight - York
- Cavatina - Myers
- Clair de Lune (excerpt)-Debussy
- Divenire - Einaudi
- Gabriel’s Oboe (Nella Fantasia) - Morricone
- Glasgow Theme (Love Actually) - Armstrong
- Gnossienne #1 - Satie
- I Giorni – Einaudi
- Jupiter (excerpt) - Holst
- Madrugada - John Williams
- Nimrod - Elgar
- Adagio (Concierto de Aranjuez) - Rodrigo
- Cancion - Pena
- Etude in E minor – Tarrega
- La Muerte - Sainz de la Maza
- Lagrima - Tarrega
- Oriental - Granados
- Paseo - Sainz de la Maza
- Romanza - Anonymous
- Siguenza - Torroba
- Soleares - Trad. flamenco
- Torija - Torroba
- Vuelvo al Sur - Piazzolla
CELTIC & TRADITIONAL
- Athair ar Neamh - Enya
- Harry’s Game - Clannad
- Horses Brawl - Trad. French
- Joy to the Person - Trad. Scottish
- Local Hero (Theme) - Knopfler
- Lothlorien – Enya
- May It Be (Lord of the Rings) - Enya
- Scarborough Fair - Trad. English
- She Moved Through the Fair- Trad. Irish
- Si Bheag Si Mhor – O’Carolan
- The Arran Boat Song - Trad. Scottish
- The Skye Boat Song - Trad. Scottish
- Watermark - Enya
- Wild Mountain Thyme - Trad. Scottish
- Women of Ireland - O Riada
- Classical Gas-Williams
- Fields of Gold - Sting
- Here Comes the Sun - Harrison
- Over the Rainbow - Arlen / Harburg
- Wind of Change - Acoustic Alchemy
- Wonderful World - Armstrong
Five out of five.
Jim is simply a fantastic musician and made our special day even more magical. It was amazing to walk up the aisle to live classical music. A true professional and great artist.
Performed very well. Jim arrived on time and was very friendly and chatty during lunch.
We really wish Jim could have stayed longer! He was absolutely amazing! As the bride I was sat next to him most of the time mesmerised! And I felt like a princess at the ceremony very pretty and romantic. Looking for an excuse for the next celebration to have Jim come along, he was very professional, very organised lovely guy.
Jim was amazing, his playing is absolutely beautiful. We had Jim in the church for the ceremony and again at our reception, everything about his songs added so much to the day. We would recommend him to anyone wanting a classical guitarist who can also play the modern songs as well as the classics, he gives his songs such a beautiful and elegant sound. We asked him to learn a few of our favourite modern songs and he learnt them and played them perfectly, it meant so much to us. Thank you Jim, you added and contributed so much to our big day. Hope you enjoyed the Isle of Wight too!!!
Great music and a really nice individual. Highly skilled guitarist and it sounded great for our outdoors wedding. Would highly recommend to all.
Jim was a lovely gentleman and smiled the whole day! His music was perfect and he's a very talented musician. Song choices were just what we were after.
We asked Jim to play during our wedding ceremony and reception drinks. His classical repertoire fit the setting beautifully and the guests thoroughly enjoyed his playing. He was excellent; would thoroughly recommend!
Fantastic, thoroughly enjoyed by us all.
We booked Jim to play at our wedding on recommendation and we were not disappointed. The music was perfect and really complemented our ceremony. Jim is a true professional and we have already passed his details on to my cousin, who is getting married later this year.
- The Dorchester Hotel
- Magdalene College Oxford
- Hilton Hotels Group
- The Four Seasons Group
- Farnham Castle
- Wiston House
- The Lainston
- Pennyhill Park
- The Langham
- Mandarin Oriental
- Windsor Guildhall
Can you help with musical choices for my wedding ceremony?
Yes, I am happy to help with suggestions based upon popular choices or styles.
Do you take specific requests?
Yes, subject to the piece being suitable for instrumental guitar and a minimum of 2 months' notice prior to the event.
Do you use amplification?
Usually, yes. Classical guitar is a surprisingly quiet instrument and usually needs a little bit of help to be heard. Amplification is essential during drinks receptions and banquets. Generally, the only occasions when amplification isn't always necessary is for smaller, intimate ceremonies and recitals. It is definitely advisable in larger spaces, such as churches.
- Standard quotes are based on 2 x 60 minute sets.
- However, up to 3 hours (plus breaks) of background music can be booked, if required.
- Quotations for shorter time lengths, such as a wedding ceremony only, can also be arranged.
Please Note: The fees indicated below are approximate and based on a central location for each county. They are intended to provide a rough guide only and exact quotes can only be given once the date and exact location of your event have been provided.